J.W.Binks & Sons, Morley’s oldest established Funeral Directors, was founded in 1870 by John Walter Binks on Albert Road. John was a joiner who also made furniture and manufactured bespoke coffins which naturally led him into becoming what at that time was known as a funeral undertaker. He was elected to Morley Borough Council and went on to become an Alderman and Chairman of the School Board.
The next generation was his son John Samuel Binks who relocated the growing business less than a hundred yards to premises at the junction of Clough Street and Albert Road (across the road from the Miners Arms which was built by J.W.Binks & Sons in 1929) with a large joiners shop and stables underneath for the horses with garages for the funeral vehicles. We still have bound ledgers from 1901 showing how much hay was bought for which horse. John Samuel also served the people of Morley on the former West Riding County Council.
None of John Samuels’ children followed immediately into the business but when he neared retirement his son John Walter, who was the Manager of The Westminster Bank, left that job to ensure the business was in capable hands and hand it on to his own son John Samuel (Jack) Binks
Jack Binks built the first Chapel of Rest in Morley at our premises and went on to be the last Mayor of the Borough of Morley, an Honorary Alderman of Leeds City Council and was awarded the M.B.E. for his political services.
Jack's son, Richard, entered the family business in 1980 and was the first member of the family to obtain the Diploma of Funeral Directing. He is a Past President of both Leeds and Yorkshire branches of The National Association of Funeral Directors. In 1991 Richard closed the building side of the business to concentrate fully on funerals. The business grew by the acquisition of G.A.Marshall & Son and then Joseph Barras Funeral Directors.
In 1994 J.W.Binks & Sons moved to its’ current home at Park House which was built by the Scatcherd family before becoming Morley Liberal Club for many years. A purpose built garage was added in 2000 to house our new fleet of vehicles and the building was completely refurbished in 2015.
The sixth generation of the Binks family to work in the business is Alexander Binks who, as well as being an experienced Funeral Director, is now in charge of future development.